Monday, April 6, 2009

More Max with Max

Monday, April 6, 2009

I sure dislike missing a week of Kettlebell training however when my trainee Max called last week to cancel due to wrist injury I was relieved as I needed the rest from a grueling week of O-lifts.

Although feeling a little tired today, I was all business when Max showed up at noon for one of my challenging sessions. I think Max would agree we achieved "challenging" considering he tossed his cookies after his second session of the Kenneth Jay, Master RKC, MaxVO2 Snatches. Like a true Viking Warrior, he took a few swigs of water and and then finished with a very strong third session.

Early afternoon Kettlebell session:

Z-Health Neural Warmup Level II Dynamic Joint Mobility

32kg x 1 x 1/1 TGU
32kg x 1 x 2/2 TGU

Double 24kg x 5 x 10 Two-hand swings, each set at the top of minute

32kg x 1 x 10/10 One-hand swings

24kg MaxVo2 Snatch 15 secs work, 15 secs rest @ 8 reps per set:
Total sets: 10 + 8 + 6 = 24
Total snatches: 192

The Max Vo2 was a little easier as I now know I won't die even if I feel like it. Max used a 6rep/set format and did sessions: 12, 10 and 8 for a total of 30 sets or 180 snatches. He loves the protocol and is improving at a very fast pace.

Total Volume: 17200 lb

3 comments:

Howie B said...

Dude, you're making your students blow chunks?!?!? I'm surprised at you. Come on, show some compassion! =)

Franklin said...

Hi Howie,
Max is tough as nails. He told that my sessions are by far the best strength and conditioning he has ever experienced.

To be honest I have come very close several time to loosing it myself during MaxVo2.

Mike T Nelson said...

Thanks for the updates here as always!

One tip if you have not done it, is to change the speed on the Z Health Neuro Warm up. Do only 3 reps, but take 15 seconds to do each rep. Your body will get used to mobility work, just like any other exercise. Let me know how it goes!

Rock on
Mike N