Wednesday, July 16, 2008

24kg Max VO2 Work

My back is doing very well and I have resumed training sessions. Here are my last two days:

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weight: 177 lbs.

Morning:

Z-Health: R-Phase + NWU2

Neutral Grip Pull ups:
7 x 5
3 x (3,2)
Total: 50

Afternoon:

32kg x 15 x 15 Two-hand swings

For the 1st 8 sets it was :20/:20 work-rest then I slowed down to :20/:35 for the remainder. Its been at least two months since I've done heavy swings and it showed.

Evening:

Neutral Grip Pull ups:
2 x 5
1x 4, 1 x 1
Total: 15
Total for entire day: 65

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Weight: 180lbs .. not surprising as I totally pigged out yesterday (five ice cream cones!). No problem as I will get back on track today.

Morning:

Z-Health: R-Phase + NWU2

220 x 1 x 1 Conventional Dead-lift

This was test to see that my back was actually as good as it felt .. I passed.

32kg x 1 x 10/10 One-hand swing

I always like to "warm up" swinging heavy to help make the 24kg snatch feel lighter.

24kg Max VO2 Snatch Protocol @ 5reps/set :15/:15
Total: 50 sets for 250 resp in 25 minutes

I think this protocol is going to be key for me towards passing an SSST test. This was a killer. At set twenty I wanted to call it quits when I realized I had only done 100 reps total so I decided to try and double it. When reaching that goal at that 40 sets, it was just plain mind over matter for the next ten sets. Thank goodness I have already forgotten how painful it was as I intend on doing this once per week.

As a result this, I now have a better sense for the insane 24kg 8reps/set for 80 sets that Mark O Madsen, the Olympic Gold Greco-Roman wrestling hopeful, had done .. its insane! The strength and explosiveness needed for 8 reps/set seems impossible at this point.

Also I have to thank both Tracy and Mark Reifkind as I used both tape and sock sleeve to protect my hands. Absolutely no soreness, callous or anything .. this was the first time I used both .. I copied Tracy as she used both for her latest 16kg Max VO2 session.

32kg x 10 x 1/1 TGU

Afternoon:

Neutral grip pull ups:
BW x 8 x 5
(BW + 38lbs) x 1 x 2
BW x 2 x 6
Total: 54

I was able purchase another of the same pull up bars that I use at home. Our door frames at work are 35" wide whereas the bar is only good up to 32" doors. To remedy this, I added home made extenders by purchasing two 8" 1/2" diameter iron piping, inserting them in the ends, drilling holes and fastening with 3/16" nut and bolt on each end.

I now have about four of my co-workers GTG-ing pull ups. The additional thirty-eight lbs double I did consisted of a 3 lb dip/pull-up chain belt I built plus a 16kg kettlebell.

11 comments:

Gabi said...

50 sets right away is real strong stuff!

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

I agree, that is a pretty solid base to start from Franklin. I couldn't recommend 32kg one arm swings enough for upping one's snatch capacity.

The VO2max workouts are very unique, you have to work equally as hard at the beginning as you do at the end. Did you get KJs video on the subject when you were out here?

Franklin said...

Gabi,

Praise coming from someone as incredibly strong as you means a lot .. thanks!


Sean,

And thank you too, sir! As for the 32kg one arm swings, I believe you are dead on as these are both a psychological boast as well as an overload strength builder. If I could reach even just half of your incredible volume with these I would be extremely pleased and considerably stronger as well!

Dan Hollingsworth said...

Franklin,

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'll have to check out those bars you recommend.

Regards,
Dan

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

I built it up doing the ETK light, medium, heavy protocal, varying the set length and reps prior to hand switch for each workout...works like a charm.

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

Its been interesting watching Aaron's training on upping snatch capacity (from Faizal Enu) too. He mixed in some dead hand snatches and that worked really well for him.

Martin Schap said...

If I had a pull-up bar at work I would like going to the office a lot better than I do currently. Strong stuff, as usual.

Franklin said...

Dan,

It was my pleasure, sir. I wish you well in all your endeavors.

Sean,

I just checked out Aaron's 40/40 snatch achievement .. a great accomplishment. My goal is a bit different than Aaron's .. I'm focusing on the SSST instead of a GS-like large set single hand switch. Unless I misunderstood, the Max VO2 was designed specifically to help achieve the SSST. Since the TSC snatch event is just a 5 min version of the SSST, it will help me there as well.

Aaron Friday said...

If you want to snatch the whole time, you ought to do some timed sets as well.

Aaron Friday said...

Duh, I meant timed long sets (3, 4, 5 minutes straight).

Franklin said...

Aaron,

Your suggestion to add timed sets of 3 to 5 minutes is an excellent one.

Using the upcoming Sep 13th TSC to test my 5 minute snatch max, I will add these to my sessions starting right after CK-FMS, thus giving me a month's worth to groove the pain.