Friday, November 28, 2008

Light Basement Oly Snatch Session

Friday November 28, 2008

Weight: 180 lbs

A decent nights sleep and minimum soreness from yesterday's training session. This evening I rewatched the snatch chapter of the Explosive Lifting for Sports DVD and its starting to make more sense. I decided to try some very light Oly squat snatches in my basement now that I have a little more confidence in being able to recover with light weights .. not having bumper plates or a real Oly bar ( a minimum $500 for the Pendlay or Rip/Burgener bar) not being able to ditch the bar quickly is a recipe for trouble.

I also started GTG-ing sets of 3 rep tactical pullups with several hour rest between sets. This seems to be very easy on my elbows and allows me to build up slowly and safely. Before my overuse injury I had done 9 tacticals and 14 neutrals. Its amusing now to look back in March when I started training these. I switched from tactical to neutral as the formert really aggrevated some tennis elbow I had. The overuse injury I suffered in August was done with neutral grip and resulted in a nasty case of golfers elbow. Now I'm back to tacticals as these are much tolerable .. even a single with neutral grip is very painful.

Morning:
Z-Health: Neural Warm-up Level 2 (Dynamic Joint Mobility Drills)

Back & Ab Complex: 1 set
A1:BW x 1 x 10 Heavy blue band Goodmorning
A2: BW x 1 x 10 Ab wheel on the knee rollouts, 5 sec hold and rollback

Tactical Pullups
BW x 4 x 3 at least 2hrs rest between sets

Evening Oly session:

Squat Snatch (lbs):

45 x 1 x 5
55 x 2 x 3
65 x 2 x 3
75 x 2 x 2
85 x 2 x 2

The key to this lift is to get under the bar as soons as possible. It only has to get a few inches over the chest to pop under .. easier said than done. As soon as it gets a little heavier I get hesitant and wind up power snatching and then dropping down. It would seem that some OH squat overloads might help my confidence. On the other hand lots of volume with ligher weights is the best way to work on technique.

Before I started I went over to my squat rack and got under the 195lb I had left on the bar from yesterday's front squat session. Damn, it felt real heavy and I began to doubt if I will ever jerk it. Very similiar to the first time I considered snatching the 32kg bell. I picked it up and changed my mind instantly .. just will take some time.

2 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

You are becomming the Olympic lifting master!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Blessings to you!

Franklin said...

franz,

Thanks! .. probably master student is more accurate!

And may you and your family always have more than you need .. Happy Thanksgiving!