Saturday, November 8, 2008

Meeting Denis Reno

Weight: 179 7/8 lbs

There have been a number of great music videos posted on some of the training blogs. Here is one of my favorites. Although this is a youtube "video", its a actually just a still frame with audio .. I hope you believe as I do nothing else is necessary.




Mikhail Voskresensky: Chopin Opus 20 C-sharp minor Posthumous

Morning:

Z-Health: Neural Warm-up Level 2 (Dynamic Joint Mobility Drills)

Oly Lifts:
20kg x 1 x 3 Power C&J
30kg x 1 x 3 Power C&J
40kg x 2 x 3 Power C&J
45kg x 2 x 3 Power C&J
50kg x 1 x 2 Power C&J
55kg x 1 x 2 Power C&J
60kg x 1 x 2 Power C&J
65kg x 1 x 2 Power C&J
70kg x 1 x 2 Power C&J
72kg x 1 x 1 Power C&J

Back Squats:
40kg x 1 x 3
50kg x 1 x 3
70kg x 2 x 3
80kg x 2 x 3

Today at the Oly Lifting club, I had the greatest pleasure today of meeting and being coached by Denis Reno, the 1992 Team Leader for the US Olympic Weightlifting team. Denis will be traveling around the world following Oly competitions and will be returning to our club in mid December. I am certainly looking forward to some more coaching from this legend.

I had never done back squats before but having carefully read Mark Rippetoe's chapter on the back squat in "Starting Strength" and the coaching cues by Coach Fuller, I felt very comfortable with the 80kg.

With the demands of learning and participating in Oly lifting and training, I have had to back off the intense Kettlebell training I was doing in parallel. I will integrate it back in as soon as I can get a better feel for how my body responds to three weekly sessions of Oly lifting.

1 comment:

Aaron Friday said...

Of course, I would have much rather seen a Chopin video, but I suppose that is too much to ask. Beautiful music.

I'm envious of your new weightlifting path. Once I separate my ass from the chair, I'll be seeking out some instruction on the cleans, at least.