Sunday, March 29, 2009

Recovering from RDL after effects

Saturday March 28, 2009

I had to miss Thursday's session and rest again onFriday as I pulled a muscle on the left side of my lower back during RDLs on Tuesday. I felt a slight twinge during the last set and by Wednesday night it was very sore. It seems any heavy dead-lifting of any kind seems to aggravate this muscle. I have learned that after a few days off and it almost always back to 90%. However, the last 10% may take several weeks but that's the way it goes. The lesson here is to go much lighter when doing 5x5 RDLs, as the time under tension with bent knees makes a huge difference from being able to lock out after each rep.

Early afternoon Olympic Lifting Session:

Z-Health: Neural Warm-up Level 2 (Dynamic Joint Mobility Drills)

C&J (kg): 4x2@90%
20 x 2 x 5 Hang-Clean and Jerk
50 x 2 x 3 Clean + 2xJerk
60 x 1 x 3 Clean + 2xJerk
65 x 1 x 3 Clean + 2xJerk
70 x 1 x 3 Clean + 2xJerk
76 x 1 x 1 C&J
76 x 3 x 2 C&J

Body Rows
BW x 3 x 10

Russian Strength Routine Back Squats (lbs) 6x5 @ 80%
160 x 1 x 5
180 x 1 x 5
205 x 5 x 5
205 x 1 x 7

Glute-Ham Raise
BW x 3 x 5

When I hit 70kg I had some trouble with cleans. Fortunately, Theresa Baker, a very experienced lifter noticed I was catching the bar on my toes instead of heels in the squat. That did the trick and the subsequent cleans were much better. Doubles with 76kg was very tough but I didn't miss any. Doubles with 80kg is in the near future.

The back squats were very difficult and although I broke parallel on all reps, I was unable to get as low as usual. Finally, the body rows and Glute-ham raises were no problem.

Total Volume: 11300 lbs

No comments: