Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to Power to the People

Weight: 180 1/2 lbs

We had a beautiful clear day today in the low 80s with a mild breeze. I took advantage of it at work today with a nice walk at lunch. Today was also my first day back to training for the next TSC .. yep, I'm not one to procrastinate much. Two short sessions got me going in the right track:

Morning:

Z-Health: Neural Warmup Level 2

32kg x 2 x 20 Two-hand swings

Conventional Dead lift (lbs): Beginning of new PtP linear cycle:
190 x 1 x 5
170 x 1 x 5

32kg x 3 x 20 Two-hand swings

I worked the 190 and 170 pulls as if they were my 5 RM. I went very slowly and deliberately focusing on creating as much tension as possible in my grip, lats, tris, abdomen, glutes and hams. I also made every swing as explosive as possible and I felt it. Also from two straight weeks of doing the follow along with the Neural Warmup Level 2, I no longer need the video. This is good as the tube in my only TV blew over the weekend.

Late Afternoon:

Double 24kg x 1 x 4 Military Press
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

24kg x 1 x 5/5 Military Press
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

Double 24kg x 1 x 4 Clean and Press
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

24kg x 1 x 5/5 Clean and Press
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

Double 24kg x 1 x 5 Front Squat
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

Double 24kg x 1 x 5 Front Squat
Double 24kg x 1 x 10 Swings

Each pair were done as supersets with no rest .. I rested a minute to a minute and a half between the supersets. Considering this took less than fifteen minutes, I got a real good sweat going. I purposely left another superset in the tank. A total of 18 presses per arm .. the Dan John way .. not too little and not too much.

3 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

I had some time to think about what we spoke about over the phone.

PTTP is deadlift and side press. You do way too much other stuff during the week to make this plan work for you in any form. When you deadlift, you need to go heavy, for singles.

Doing reps with 190 is not going to help you pull 300+. You just need to get pissed and go heavy, and you can't do a kettlebell workout at lunch time beforehand. Deadlift is different.

Franklin said...

I'll actually be following a combo ETK/PtP program outlined in ETK that I will tweak to better fit my lower volume pressing needs.

Specifically I will do PtP style deads only twice a week (variety days). It will get heavy quickly enough for me when I reach 240 x 5 in the first two linear cycles (about 10 weeks). I will be testing my 1RM every one and half to two cycles.

The ETK portion will be a hybrid with more much less volume on the press, split between singles and double 24s with no more than 5 reps per set. I will occasionally throw in a few singles with my 32kg. I will maintain my snatching with one MaxVO2 session a week. The rest is lots of heavy swinging with some TGUs.

When the elbow gets little better, I'll start back slowly training pull ups.

The switch to PtP was predicated on going lighter for more reps which seems to be easier on my lower back.

In all, my training sessions are now much shorter (20 minutes or less instead of 45+) and more often.

Aaron Friday said...

Makes sense. You need to take care of your lower back. Still, twice a week is a lot of deadlifting.

As long as you make progress, I suppose it's worthwhile.