Friday, May 16, 2008

boys and their toys

















Thursday May 16, 2008

To bed around 10:45pm. Woke up 3:30am with a sore right elbow again. After a few elbow circles it was fine. I stayed in bed until 6:45am dozing on and off. Weight: 175 7/8 lbs. Hovering around around target weight.

Sumo DL 10 Day Linear PTTP Cycle: (lbs)
Cycle 2: Day 8: 205 x 1 x 5, 185 x 1 x 5

Sumo DL off 6" blocks:
185 x 5 x 1

The 205 pulls were difficult. I will be very happy if I can complete the last two days of this cycle.
On then did some Power Wheel rollouts (for picture see 1st photo):

Power Wheel
1 x 5 On knees roll out, hold 5 secs and roll back

My Omron HBF-306 Fat Loss Monitor arrived today. I was pleased to see my body fat percentage is 15.2% which according to Wikopedia article here , it puts me in the Fit category (14-17) but not the Athlete category (6-13) . My body mass index was 25.6 (a weighted ratio of weight to the square of height). If I was sedentary with a high body fat index (> 25%) and the same body mass index, I would need to go on a diet. However the relatively low body fat index indicates I'm carrying a good amount of muscle. I'm very comfortable with this weight and body fat percentage so I will continue to maintain what I'm already doing for diet and nutrition.

With all the extensor work I'm doing for my elbows, I decided to ease into some pony clamp pinch and COC grip work. In the 1st photo above, there are two COC (Captain of Crunch) grip trainers, a pony-clamp pinch grip trainer, a pony-clamp palm grip trainer, old canister of empty Lemon Christmas cookies filled with 4 lbs of coins, old batteries and stones. I used to be able to do COC#1 singles with both hands but I will have to build back up again. Today I used the COC trainer:

COC Trainer 2 x 10/10

Later in the afternoon I did swings with my co-worker:

24kg x 2 x (5,10,15,20,25,20,15,10,5) asc/desc two-hand swing ladders
Total: 250 reps

Later in the evening was weighted pull ups:

BW+12kg x 3 x (2,1) = 9 reps
BW x 1 x 6

It was amusing when I almost did a muscle up for my first BW pull up after resting for 5 minutes after the weighted ones. The 2nd photos above show my low tech but highly effective method for hanging bells or plates using a $10 piece of very thick nylon cord.

I finished the evening session with heavy swings testing today's DD post about Gulf Wax (see 1st photo) , a household paraffin wax used for canning. I coated the handles of both my 2 poods and it did make a big difference. Next week I test again with heavy volume 24kg snatches.

Double 32kg x 1 x 10 swing
32kg x 1 x 20 Two-hand swing
32kg x 10 x 10 Two-hand swings @ 1 set/min
32kg x 2 x 10 Two-hand swings @ 1 set/min

Total training volume: 28950 lbs

This was probably my heaviest training volume to date.

===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with green beans
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates

Morning Snack:
4 oz Kefir
1 Whey protein shake
1 small helping of pan-fried salmon, Sichuan shrimp, map-po doufu and green beans
1/2 tangerine

Lunch:
1 small helping of Green gram curry
1 small bowl of pan-fried salmon, Sichuan shrimp, map-po doufu and green beans
1 tangerine
4 dates

Afternoon snack:
1 small helping of brown rice with sweet potato and green beans
1 banana
2 small handfuls of roasted peanuts

Dinner:
1 bowl of Sichuan shrimp with veggies, dou-fu, pan-fried shrimp, brown rice with sweet potato
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
2 small scoops of ice cream

At first this looks like a lot, but due to the todays heavy training volume, its actually reasonable.

6 comments:

Colin said...

That is a LOT of work Franklin. Good to see that you are eating a lot of food to go along with it. High G-Flux baby!!!

Franklin said...

Thanks Colin! I was starved after those workouts .. this morning no change in weight thus earning the extra grub.

fawn said...

Nice work on the pull-ups! Adding weight will make a huge difference!

Franklin said...

Thanks Fawn! I have all the confidence that your prediction will bear fruit as I continue to work this new pull up approach.

Your new avatar ROCKS!

Martin Schap said...

Lots of work you're doing lately. I like your approach to your training these past few weeks.
Going strong on the weighted pull-ups too.

Franklin said...

Hey thanks Martin! Variety and shorter training sessions seems to allow me train more often and less downtime.

Also, although my dead lift numbers are still novice like, I really believe this lift is having a positive impact on all KB training.