Saturday, May 10, 2008

Qigong: Bear and Tiger Frolic

I was up numerous times last night with a sore right elbow but was able to get back to sleep each time. Weight: 176 1/2 lbs. Big jump south .. yesterday was a heavy volume day so no surprise. My elbow was really sore this morning. It turns out I was just too aggresive in cranking both the weight and reps with my extensor rehab work. Today I will do a few light sets and give my elbow some rest. First things first so I immediately did dynamic joint mobility:

Z-Health R-Phase

This gave some relief but I noticed some swelling so I strapped on an ice pack and laid down. Big relief .. much more than usual. Next time I have to remember to lay down after putting on the ice pack .. it does make a big difference.

At the recommendation of Mark Toomey, RKC Team Leader, I ordered the three John DuCane's Five Animal Frolics and started with the Power DVD

Qigong: Bear and Tiger Frolic for Power

This DVD was much different than any other Qigong DVD I have ever seen. It explains how this Chinese system developed by Hua Tuo over 1800 years provides a huge number of heath benefits. I really enjoyed practicing the majority of the movements. I went to youtube to compare John's movements with the examples there and his are totally different ... not surprising as this stuff has a huge number of interpretations. It will be interesting to see how well this complements my Z work.

One thing I noticed was that I had a painful split on my right big toe and right thumb. Normally I get these in the winter but not now. Perhaps its a side effect of the ZMA, I will post on the DD forum and ask.

===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato and green gram curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates

Morning Snack:
4 dates

Lunch:
1 large bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato and green gram curry
4 dates
1 tangerine

Afternoon snack:
4 small handfuls of roasted almonds

Dinner (out):
1 large plate of garlic shrimp, stir fried green veggies and white rice.
1 small bowl of sweetened red bean congee

No comments: