Sunday, May 11, 2008

some deads and one-arm LCCJs

A decent nine hours of sleep. Weight: 176 lbs. Nice .. will try to hold this. Elbows felt great, cutting back the extensor work helped.

Sumo DL 10 Day Linear PTTP Cycle: (lbs)
Cycle 2: Day 6: 195 x 1 x 5, 175 x 1 x 5

Sumo DL off 6" blocks:
175 x 4 x 1

The 195s were pretty tough and really required focus. The 175s felt so much lighter. My first off the block was too much lower back but the next three were much better. I also remembered Dr. Cobb's suggestion about eye focal points.

24kg 6 x 5/5 LCCJ @ 6:40 (PR)
Total reps: 60

Again I never put the bells down. I felt I had a little more but decided I had already smashed my previous PR of 43 reps in both volume and density. My 1st goal will be 100 reps in 10 minutes with a hand switch every 5 reps. The ultimate goal (several months at least) as described by MMA Coach Scott Sonnon (http://www.rmaxinternational.com/blog/?p=29)is 10RPM for 20 minutes switching hands every 5 minutes. The only variation here is I will do this hard-style until I can't make progress anymore. I am predicting a great increase in my snatching as result of this. My left shoulder is the weak point here and this LCCJ goal will build it up in the safest way without tearing up my hands. Finally, I REALLY enjoy this lift.

My original plan was to do the Max VO2 this evening but instead I spent more time on the Five Animal Frolics.

Qigong: Bear and Tiger Frolic
Day 2

As the movements become more natural, I have begun to lower my stance to increase the energy. In particular for the Bear movements, the quads get a fantastic burn. John DuCane's visualization suggestions are superb and help to wrap the mind around the movements. The Power Breathing as outlined in PTTP and Naked Warrior work real well in the Tiger movements as these require static tensing.


===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato and green gram curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates

Morning Snack:
3 small handfuls of roasted almonds

Lunch (out):
1 large piece of beer-batter fried haddock
1 medium helping of onion rings
1/4 sweet potato, black bean burrito with melted jack chees

Afternoon Snack:
3 Mint Dark Chocolate Truffles
1 Large Dark Chocolate Champaign Truffle

Dinner:
1 small helping of Chinese broccoli
1 small helping of pan-fried salmon
1 small scoop of ice cream

All the fried food for lunch tasted sooo good. Once in a while its okay to splurge.
1 tangerine

Afternoon snack:
4 small handfuls of roasted almonds

Dinner (out):
1 large plate of garlic shrimp, stir fried green veggies and white rice.
1 small bowl of sweetened red bean congee

6 comments:

Howie B said...

Franklin, we must be on the same wavelength! I had just been reading Sonnon's 1-Arm Long Cycle article here, http://www.americankettlebellclub.com/blog/?p=52, and played with the 16kg for the first time yesterday as well!! Cool deal. I also am going to insert these into my schedule.

Colin said...

LOL - we 3 must all be wired up the same!! I had already made up my mind to do LCCJs tonight and was going to try to hit 100 in 10 mins before I read your blog.

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Hey Franklin! I like the "goals" portion of your blog, I have not figured that part of the blogger template yet. Well, actually my husband does the tech part. Your training is going very strong! Good to see you put in some soft skills "frolic" too. I am all for the medicinal dark chocolate!
-Kate

Aaron Friday said...

With way Franklin eats, I expect he does yoga and doesn't tell us about it. I learned the animal frolics from Paul Gallagher many years ago at a seminar. He teaches this system first and, if the student is still showing up after learning it, starts teaching taiji.

I learned taiji first, from Paul Abdella and Ray Hayward, and afterward accumulated more qigong methods than I can even remember. Stick with one thing, do it regularly, and you'll benefit from it. That's the formula. For me, it's taiji; I don't do qigong, because the qigong is now within my taiji after so much practice.

Franklin, Nice PR with the long cycle, my man. I'd like to learn this someday. Seems like a stalwart for overall conditioning.

Franklin said...

@Howie,

The credit has to go Colin for focusing in on the LCCJ protocol as outlined in the Sonnon article. With your large base of strength, I wouldn't hesitate to go right to the 24kg.

@Colin,

Like my son would "This is the bomb, Dad!". As I am learning, 100 in 10 mins is a worthy goal.

@Katie,

Dark chocolate .. mmmmmm ... dark chocolate .. ahhhhhh! Huh? What? Phew, okay I snapped out of! I took the lead from Aaron to post PRs, not matter how lame they were. LOL

@Aaron,

Thanks! You will definitely kick butt with the LCCJ when you decide to give it try. And the Qigong is not only good for me but real fun as well.

I don't recognize the Taiji instructor names, but I take it that they are well-respected. And you are dead on about my slant towards all things of the eastern persuasion.

Aaron Friday said...

Franklin, sorry. In the martial arts world, it's just a habit to name instructors. It has nothing to do with what you're doing, although Mr. DuCane definitely knows who these people are. He studied with them.