Friday, March 7, 2008

Back to a work day for my 2nd KB cycle

The furnace shorted out last night around 6pm. It was only 20 F by 11:30pm so I waited until the morning to call the gas company. Bundled up and the house only dropped to 45 F .. not too bad. I went to bed around 12:30am and got at 4am to run the hot and cold water just to make sure my pipes didn't freeze. Got up at 6am with a body weight of 179 3/4 lbs a new local PR .. my 80kg goal doesn't seem too unrealistic if I keep this up.

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with a little sweet potato and Toor Dal
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2

GD (Greg Donahue) GTG Pull-up Program:
Day 7: 1 set of 2 neutral pull-ups (7,1,2)

Furnace man came and replaced a fried thermastat .. could have a LOT worse. It was already 10:30 so I stayed home and did my KB training:

Morning snack:
1 small bowl of freshly cook Toor Dal

The Toor Dal (a dish based on a bean in the lentil family) is an excellent source of protein and once of my favorite Indian cuisines. Mike Mahler, a vegan and elite KB lifter published a great article on how he packs on muscle with his vegan diet:

making-the-vegan-diet-work.html



I'm glad I took the extra day's off as I needed it to nail down my plan for my 2nd KB workout.

Warmup:
Hard Foam Roller: ITB, Periformus, upper back, shoulders
16kg 1 x 10/10 Halos
24kg 1 x 10/10 Slingshots .. oops, it slipped again .. yeah! interlocking floor mats!
BW 1 x 10 Wall squats

Superset x 6 with one minute rest between sets, no rest between A1 and A2:
A1. Dbl 24kg 1 x 4 LCCJ
A2. Dbl 32kg 1 x 5 Swing

Originally, I intended to do 5 LCCJ per superset but I realized in the 1st set that 4 was enough, hence the extra set (6 instead of 5).

2 minute rest

Dbl 24kg 10 x 10 Swings with 1 minute rest between sets

24kg 3 x 3r/3l TGU with one minute rest between arms.

Total volume: 13000 lbs

Instead of putting the bell down after each TGU rep, this time I keep each working arm locked out for the entire three reps. This required even more concentration .. afterwards both shoulders felt great.

Afternoon snack:
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 small handful of roasted cachews
4 oz of Kefir


Dinner:
1 moderate helping of S.O. prepared Sichuan shrimp with cauliflower, broccoli, peas and carrots.
1 small bowl of streamed Kale and sweet potato
2 Sesame crackers
1 piece of wild blueberry pie
1 scoop of ice cream

4 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Wow, Franklin. When you blog, you really blog! The thoroughness of your first set of entries tells me that you have a lot to express. Having a blog for this is a great thing.

When I need to write, I use the blog. When I crack myself up with some stupid thought I have, I use the blog. When I notice something really good or really bad that I want to rant or spaz about, I use the blog. Share yourself without regard for the response you're likely to receive. That's my advice.

There's a very good chance that people won't understand the kinds of food you eat, even if you explain it 100 times. Even if they did understand, I'm not sure other bloggers in the kettlebell community really care what other people eat, even if it's of vital importance. Concepts about eating are interesting to others; daily dosages are not. You can use this blog as an eating diary, but I don't expect you'll get much response. But it's your blog; use it and abuse it, learn and share.

Your double-bell swings are impressive; you are a strong dude! If you've got any personal bests you're working to improve, post them on your blog for all to see. All lifters understand numbers, and the bloggers in this web can directly relate to, and will care about, the PRs you hit or thresholds you've crossed.

Congratulations on your decision to share yourself with the blog-web.

~Aaron

Taikei Matsushita said...

Your listing on nutrition intake is amazing. I can't write those down. Training is hardcore as well.

Franklin said...

Hi Aaron, thanks for stopping by! .. and please also accept my humble thanks for your constructive feedback.

The daily nutrition log is an application of diary technique to assist me in being accountable for everything I consume of caloric content .. nothing is skipped. As a result if I'm tempted to eat junk, I know it will have to go in the blog for public scrutiny. (Yes I know that in reality there may at most one or two viewers a day with no interest in this aspect .. however psychologically it really feels like the world's eyes are upon me and keeps the pressure on.)

Though the diet and nutrition is still very important to me, in view of your remarks and experience, I think it makes sense to move it to the bottom of posts to make it easy to skip over and focus directly on the actual KB training details.

I also like your the idea of a separate section for PRs .. again thanks so much for comments!

Franklin said...

Hi Taikei, my obsession with diet and nutrition and its impact on weight control makes this logging a necessity for me.

Over the last 5 years I've lost over 33 lbs of blubber. During this time I was working out 5 days a week at gym with heavy long sessions on an cross-trainer, I was still stuck at 192 lb for a few years. Then I switched to KB training last summer and began to see amazing results which motivated me further to it eat much healthier. As a result I have shed another 12 lbs, putting on muscle mass at the same time .. the two have really complemented each other.