Tuesday, March 25, 2008

more rest required

Went to bed 10:15 and got up 6:30 and slept like a log last night. For some bizarre reason I woke with a left sore quad after taking the entire day off yesterday. I decided to just do my Fighter Pull-ups and go from there. Even after icing and thumper massaging it got worse so I laid off anything else. Its probably residual from both my 32kg TGUs and my KB demo on Sunday .. one or the other would have probably been okay .. "too much too soon". On the positive side, after almost 4 weeks of this new cycle, it has taken me quite far in terms of relative strength and endurance gains. As a result, I am more than happy to use this week as my taper week.

Russian 3RM Fighter Pull-up Plan
Day 3: (Day 9 of plan) 4,3,3,2,1 with 2 mins rest between rungs

The 1st set of 4 was very tough and subsequent ones were quite a bit easier. As this is the 1st thing I did in the morning, this is warmup issue so I am going to add some joint mobility before jumping right in next time.

More strangeness to the day occurred when eating my morning snack of roasted almonds I broke a lower molar. It was on its last legs anyway as it was almost all filing. Fortunately, there is no pain and I will see my dentist tomorrow morning.


===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, Toor Dal and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
4 oz Kefir
2 dates

Morning Snack:
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
6 oz of Kefir

Lunch:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, Gujarati beans, Toor Dal and Green Gram Curry
1 large naval orange
4 dates

Afternoon snack:
6 oz Kefir

Dinner:
1 bowl of Gujarati beans with Green Gram Curry
1 bowl of steamed Kale with sweet potato
2 large sesame crackers
1 piece of wild blueberry pie
1 scoop of ice cream

3 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Oh man! You sound like you had one of those days where things just keep getting better. Good work on the fighter pull-ups. I have been meaning to give that an honest try at some point. Probably on my next strength cycle. I tried it once but didn't give it a very good effort. I replied to your comment on my blog, but in case you don't check back soon thanks for your kind remarks about the DD forum.

Gabi said...

Yep, some days just ain't worth getting up for... but the pullups were :)
I get more and more intrigued by these fighter pullups, I should get a decent bar soon (I have one in the door frame).

Franklin said...

@martin,

I've had better days and much worse ones as well .. life is still real good. I am really enjoying the Fighter pull-up program and pleased so far. I hope you give it another shot and post the results on your blog.

@gabi,

Indeed, the pull-ups will keep me sane as my quad recovers. I purchased a Multi-Function Chinning Bar by Everlast from KarateDepot as it has builtin handles for neutral grip. Pretty nifty as it does not any screws or fasteners. Given the huge strength gains you've already achieved, I won't be surprised if do very well on the fighter pull-up plan.