Monday, March 17, 2008

Some DLs and Snatches .. testing the waters

Two good nights sleep in a row .. when was the last time that happened! Got up at 6:30am and weighed 178 7/8 lb. Decided to visit the company paid for gym membership to take a crack at some dead-lifts, since I don't having any barbells. I lucked out as I ran into buddy I hadn't seen since the summer who has also been training hard with KBs. Turns out he rents a locker and keeps one each of a 12,16 and 20 kg bell in it. He was working with them at the time and he let me share them.

16kg 1 x 10/10 Halos
BW 1 x 10 Wall Squats

135 lbs x 3 overhand grip DLs (45 lb Olympic bar plus two 45 lb plates)

BW 3 x 4 Neutral grip pull-ups
BW 1 x 3 Neutral grip pull-ups
BW 3 x 8 Dive Bomber push-ups
20kg 2 x 20/20 one-hand swings
20kg 1 x 20 snatches alternating arms every rep
20kg 1 x 1,2,3,4,5 snatch ladders left then right arm
16kg 1 x 30/30 one hand swings


This workout took about 40 minutes and I actually worked several different circuits of at most one set each of exercise .. the tabulation above are just set summaries as I best as I could remember.

The snatches felt very good and I didn't overdo them. Also I had no problem with the extra pull-ups. The only neutral grip pull-up bar available had non-adjustable extension handles that were much closer together than my bar at home. For some reason, the pull-ups were much easier this way. Fifteen pull-ups in one day is massive volume for me and I haven't experiences any elbow issues yet other than the usual mild soreness I get after any workout .. ice and massage therapy takes quick care of that.

As for the dead-lifts .. I really suck at them. I couldn't do a single mixed grip one but could do a set of 3 with an over-handed grip. Also lifting two 32 kg bells for double swings seems much easier than the 135lb DLs. I should have done my research on these BEFORE getting to the gym and have since found out several on-line pointers subsequent to my 1st attempts.

Anyway, as of now I have officially trained all three TSC events (snatches, dead-lifts and pull-ups) and I'm on a path to realizing one of my goals. Again my thanks to Aaron Friday for planting the seed towards this.

===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with a little sweet potato and Toor Dal
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates

Morning Snack:
2 small handful of roasted almonds
1 small handful of roasted cashews
4 oz Kefir

Lunch:
1 bowl of Gujarati beans, Toor Dal, Green Gram Curry and sweet potato
4 dates
1 large Naval orange

Afternoon snack:
3 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 large sesame cracker

Dinner:
1 bowl of Gujarati beans with Toor Dal and sweet potato
1 small helping of Sichuan Chicken with veggies
1 piece of strawberry rhubarb pie
1 scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream

I tried my new Presto 6 quart pressure cooker and was amazed at how fast the Toor Dal cooked. Total time including the de-pressurizing cool down was 17 minutes compared to at least an hour if done stove top in a pot.

5 comments:

Gabi said...

That's a lot of pullups! I also find the narrower the grip the easier they are, maybe the biceps gets more chance to contribute.
As for the deadlift, don't get discouraged, the path of the bar is way different from that of kettlebells, you rather pull back than up, you probably just have to get used to it. Same for the mixed grip, it feels very awkward to me, too, if I don't use it for a while. (I usually try and stick to double overhand grip as long as my grip holds.)

Franklin said...

Gabi, thanks so much for words of encouragement. I am committed to learning the dead-lift skill but as with all truly worthy things it takes patience and dedication .. the latter two of which my KB training has already taught me the value of.

Aaron Friday said...

Franklin, the only reason a person of your strength level would have trouble with a less-than-bodyweight deadlift is if you were actually standing on the bar.

Your form is deformed.

For starters, go to www.crossfit.com, click on Exercises & Demos, scroll down to Powerlifts, and watch the Deadlift stuff by Mark Rippetoe. His Starting Strength book is useful as well.

Franklin said...

Aaron, damn! I almost pee-ed myself when I read you comment.

Thanks so much for the CrossFit reference .. fantastic resource.

And yes, whatever I was doing with that barbell apparently was NOT dead-lifting. I will go back tomorrow armed with some real knowledge and perform some real ones.

Aaron Friday said...

LOL, Franklin!

When you start getting the hang of it, you should be very pleased.