Saturday, March 22, 2008

Some Progress with Dbl 24 Front Squats

To bed at 11pm and up at 6:30am for a great night's sleep. I decided to extra hydrate myself before dinner instead of my usual two large evening cups of tinderbell tea. As a result, no waking up to pee and full nights rest. Weight: 178.5 lbs.

Even though yesterday was very light, I still woke up sore in my forearms, elbows, left shoulder and lower back. First I used my thumper massager for about 10 mins, did some good-morning stretches. Last some Z:

Z-Health R-Phase

After the Z, I felt much better, and proceeded with my plans for the day. I switched pull-up routines as discussed a few days ago .. yesterday was the 1st day which corresponds to Day 6 of the 3RM Russian Fighter Pull-up Plan, namely a DAY OFF! .. Hey, hey, I wanted to break in easy to the new plan. But that was yesterday:

3RM Russian Fighter Pull-up Plan
Day 7: 1 x 4,3,2,1,1 with 2 mins rest between rungs

Warmup:
Hard Foam Roller: ITB, piriformus, upper back, shoulders
16kg 1 x 10/10 Halos
24kg 1 x 20/20 Slingshots .. no drops!
BW 1 x 10 Wall squats

Superset x 8 with one minute rest between sets, no rest between A1 and A2:
A1. Dbl 24kg 5 Front Squat
A2. Dbl 32kg 5 Swing

The squats are getting easier as the new max sets of 8 was not a problem. My double 32 swings are also getting a little stronger, however I have quite a lot of work ahead before I perform a LCCJ with them .. but that's exactly why its a long term goal (1 year plus).

3 minute rest

Double 24kg 3 x 15, 2 x 12 swings on the minute
(69 dbl swings/5 mins)

The last time I did double 24kg swings was 10 sets of 10 on the minute. This time I increased the density to 15 on the minute .. I knew it would be very tough. My goal was to do 5 x 15 but I still got close enough. What's very pleasing is that back in early Dec, I could only do a few sets of 5. Also, the nice overload from the double 32 swings is what got the 24s to feel much lighter.

24kg 3 x mixed one-hand and two-hand swings sets of 30 reps on the minute:
1 x 30 two-hand swing
1 x 10/10/5/5 one-hand swing
1 x 5/5/5/5/5/5 one-hand swing
(90 swings/5 mins)

After the 1st set of 30 two-hand swings, I my grip was almost toast so went with more hand transfers on the last two sets.

Total Volume: 24824 lbs


===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with a little sweet potato and Toor Dal
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates

Morning Snack:
1 small handful of roasted almonds
4 oz Kefir
1 Whey protein shake

Lunch:
1 Whey protein shake with 4 oz of Kefir
1 bowl of Gujarati beans, Toor Dal, Green Gram Curry and sweet potato
4 dates
1 large Naval orange

Afternoon snack:
3 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 large sesame cracker

Dinner:
1 bowl of Gujarati beans with Toor Dal, sweet potato and green gram curry
1 helping of Sichuan Chicken with veggies
1 piece of strawberry rhubarb pie
1 scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream
2 handfuls of roasted nuts

2 comments:

Howie B said...

You know about these Fighter Pullups??? I just learned about them yesterday! You are becoming a Kettlebell Monster! Keep up the good work and stay healthy!

Franklin said...

Howie, so very nice to hear from you! And thanks so much for your words of encouragement.

The low volume Greg Donahue GTG pull-up program was great for a month and exactly what I needed to get from 2RM to 5RM. This is the real kickoff point for the Fighter pull-up program but I decided to be conservative and jump into the tail end of the easier 3RM to 5RM transition Fighter program. This gets me acclimated to the increase in volume required for the 5RM program.

The 5RM Fighter pull-up program is still considerably less demanding than the highly praised Simon Forsyth's "Power Ladder" Pull-up program he posted about on the DD forum.

What's nice here is that as soon as progress stops on one program, switching to another one is often quite effective.