Sunday, March 9, 2008

Work! rest rest; Work! rest rest; ..

This appears to be my new training protocol as this old body has demanded this combo of work and rest/recover waltz. Specifically I will KB train heavy and hard for one day and then active rest for two. My active rest days are typically spent doing some very low volume low intensity GTG type BW work, e.g. one or more of:

  • weighted pull-up progressions
  • hanging leg raise progressions
  • seated L-sit progressions
  • handstand press progressions.

Note I can't yet do any X of the above "X progressions" and am currently training X's associated simpler progressions. That's the beauty of them .. I can see myself in the future doing them (6 months, 1 year, 2 or more years?) and it gives me a clear set of goals.

I got a decent nights sleep after going to bed around 10:30pm and getting up at 5:30am. My weight was 179 3/4 lbs. My left knee was still a bit tight so I wore a neoprene supporter for most of the day .. no discomfort and no NSAIDS today.


GD (Greg Donahue) GTG Pull-up Program:
Day 9: 1 set of 2 neutral grip pull-ups (9,1,2)

BW 1 x 10 sec hold of wall-walkup handstand from push-up position start
BW 1 x 10 sec hold of kick up to wall handstand (face points away from wall)

BW 5 x 6 sec hold of hanging L-sit
BW 3 x 3 sec hold of seated tuck-sit on finger tips

BW 2 x 1 Roll Out, Hold and Return on my knees with PW in hands

BW 3 x 15 push-ups with push-up stands, chest to the floor each rep, 10 minutes between sets

Hmm .. as I log this I realize I'm not happy with the push-up set/rep structure. My 15th push-up of each set is always very tough .. too close to failure and the volume is too high. Instead I am going to switch to either dive bomber or Hindu push-ups or some type of additional resistance type push-ups using a jump-stretch band.

All the BW work was spread out over a 10 hour period.

===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with a little sweet potato and Toor Dal
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2

Morning Snack:
1 bowl of freshly made Green Gram Curry (steamed whole green moong beans with spices)
1 Whey Protein shake with 4 oz of Kefir

Lunch:
1 large helping of S.O. prepared Beijing Zha-Zha-Mian (steamed wheat noodles with steamed spinach, carrots, cucumber and few oz of Hoysen braised pork)
1 small bowl of Green Gram Curry
1/2 glass of red wine

Afternoon snack:
1/2 Large Indian roasted green pepper
1 small Indian spiced fruit and nut ball

Dinner:
1/2 glass of red wine
1 Large helping of roasted vegs. (sweet potato, cauliflower, bottle squash, garlic and onion with olive oil, some salt and pepper)
1 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 piece of wild blueberry pie
1 scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream
2 small sesame crackers

No comments: