Friday, April 25, 2008

a case of mental flatulence

Although I slept hard without getting up much, I was still very tired during the day. The testing of my 1RM DL last night took ALOT out of me. Weight: 175.25 lbs. Yep, this should have been a total rest day .. but it was not to be.

Z-Health R-Phase

I did a real dopey thing today at lunch,hence the blog title. After reading Fawn's thoughtful comment on DL alignment principles, I decided to drive home and try them on my 1RM of 225 lbs! No cycling up like last night ... just get right to it and maybe throw on another 20 lbs or so.

HAH! .. yeah, right. Although I did warm-up with a lot of Z drills and a set of heavy double swings, the fargin bar only moved an 1/16". I tried again and the same thing happened. I took off 30 lbs and did two singles, scraped my left shin with the bar and realized the tank was completely empty. I was just too dad-gum tired and stubborn-headed ... usually a deadly combination. Fortunately, before I did something even dumber, I had flash of sanity and drove right back to work.

I'm very lucky I didn't do some damage. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Nothing more today .. I promise nothing.

===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates
1 banana

Morning Snack:
3 small handfuls of roasted almonds
2 dates
6 oz Kefir

Lunch:
1 bowl of steamed tofu, Kitchari, sweet potato and Green Gram Curry
1 large orange
6 Dates

Afternoon Snack:
5 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 orange

Dinner:
1 large bowl of Sichuan Shrimp with Veggies
1 small bowl of Cilantro pan-fried salmon
1 small piece of pie
3 scoops of ice cream
2 mint chocolate chip cookies

All the DLs last night left me famished so I loaded up on extra almonds through out the day.

4 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Sometimes the hardest thing about training is knowing enough to hold back. Congratulations on not getting injured.

Martin Schap said...

I really meant that congratulations in the nicest way. Sometimes dumb luck is the best thing that happens to us in a given day. Looking back though it sounds kind of snotty.

Franklin said...

Martin,

On no problem, I understood it the first time in most positive way .. not getting injured is cause to celebrate especially after the nutty thing I did!

Howie B said...

Nice and steady my friend. Enjoy feeling strong while pulling that bar off the ground. Maintain your consistency and attention detail and you'll be pulling well more than that in no time. And make sure you fill up that tank of yours!