Monday, April 28, 2008

some 32kg snatch volume

Went to bed at 10:45pm and woke up at 4am. Couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and read some training blogs. Was able to get back to sleep around 6am and got up at 8am. Not optimal but still better than dragging my butt around for the day. Weight: 176 7/8 lbs. I think the dead-lifting is having a say in this recent small weight gain. Not concerned yet.

In a few days will mark the completion of three months of solid training since a long layoff during the winter to rest my elbows. That first workout on Feb 2, 2008 I did 16kg x 10 x 20 2-hand swings and almost died! I've come along way .. the encouragement, assistance and guidance I have received from the RKC and friends blogging community has been enormous.

Having committed to doing heavy snatches today, I needed to take a half-hour nap after dinner. After doing dishes and attending to other domestic duties, I started my training session at 9pm .. pretty late but I've trained even later.

Double 32kg x 5 x 10 Two-hand swings @ 1 set/min

I focused a generating a very strong hip snap and keeping my shoulders back. I am starting to really gain a lot of respect for these as they are relatively safe (compared to snatches say), very heavy and dynamic.

32kg Snatch:
16 x 3/3
1 x 2/2
Total reps: 100 (PR)

I averaged starting a set every 90 seconds. This was a very taxing session and I pushed myself to complete it. I always do my weaker left side reps first. Twice I didn't get a good lockout with my left so I repeated those reps after doing my right side.

I did have a few small casualties: two small tears on my left hand. I used enormous amounts of chalk so I'm sure it could've been a lot worse. I will have to tape my hand next session. Thanks to Howie for publishing a link to Rif's superb "How to tape your hands" post .. the last time I taped I did it incorrectly and had to wear a less than optimal work glove instead.

Also my neck and upper back on the left side are a little sore. I would have normally popped four ibuprofen but I instead I will treat this with Z drills. This soreness is not a surprise as my left side has always been weaker. Snatching the 2 pood for 50 reps on the left side goes a long way towards getting it stronger .. almost exactly one month ago I barley squeezed out my first 32kg left side snatch single.


==================================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates
1 banana


Morning Snack:
1 handful of roasted almonds
4 dates

Lunch:
1 large bowl pan fried salman with cilantro, brown rice and sweet potato
1 tangerine
2 dates


Afternoon snack:
3 handfuls of roasted almonds
6 oz Kefir

Dinner:
1/2 glass of red wine
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 large bowl of pan-fried steel trout with cilantro
1 bowl of roasted veggies
2 small scoops of ice cream
4 small mint chocolate chip cookies

11 comments:

Colin said...

It's amazing that you have cranked up to the 32's so fast. You should be proud of yourself for your diligent attitude to this part of your life.

Howie B said...

Awesome work Franklin! This must be the week for hand tears!! Taikei gave me a suggestion to only chalk my fingers. I'll try that for my next snatch workout (my hands are still healing). You've come a long way, baby!!

fawn said...

Franklin,
Be careful of over-reaching... sleeplessness and weight gain is one sign that might be happening.

Your diet is really good... however, you want to make sure you get enough quality B vitamins and adrenal support supplements.

I might be way off on this... I only point this out because it has happened to me. It was hard for me to back off a little when I was making such gains, plus I am greedy! LOL! It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of...

Oh, and nice job on the snatches!

Howie B said...

Fawn, aren't you supposed to be on vacation? And what kind of adrenal support supplements do you recommend?

Franklin said...

@colin,

Thanks so much, and yes I'm very happy with where I am with the 32kg. On the other hand, perhaps I cranked them up a bit too fast as I'm sore as hell today .. but I don't have any regrets as today and tomorrow are rest training days.

@howie,

Much appreciated sir! As for the hand tears, at first I thought I saw sweat and did another two sets before I realized it was blood. At that point I put on a fingerless glove for the remainder and the damage was minimized. As Rif has pointed out, tears are really an issue with form that eventually get sorted out with lots of repetition.

@fawn,

"Danger .. oops, I mean .. over-reaching is my middle name!"

I pushed myself knowing that rest training days would follow. All the heavy work of late has made me at lot hungrier so I have knowingly increased my caloric intake. My sleep has actually improved over the last year since taking up KB training.

With the exception of a whey protein shake after a tough workout, I'm very skeptical of vitamins and other supplements, I just try to eat as healthy as possible.

Yes, thanks for the great feedback!

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

those double swings help, don't they!?

Franklin said...

Hi Sean,

Indeed! Double 32kg swings are absolutely essential for me to make progress in other areas .. simple, safe and absolutely brutal. This was the 1st time I did 5 x 10 on the minute and it was very tough.

fawn said...

I agree that real food is the best way to get nutrition... I do take a couple high quality supplements because I can FEEL the difference in energy and recovery time.

I hope I didn't sound too gloom and doom... LOL! Overreaching is just something to keep in mind especially when you are training deadlift because it is so hard on your CNS.

Franklin said...

Hi Fawn,

I never interpreted your insight as doom and gloom. You have correctly diagnosed a tendency I have to push myself to over-reach and create unnecessary down time. The big difference now is I have a much better awareness of it and I am starting to get comfortable with "rest training" as integral part of my training program.

I have tried various supplements (vitamins, B-complex and others) and never could determine any change in energy level or well being. At the same time, I acknowledge that a great many folks like yourself have had success with them.

Aaron Friday said...

You don't need to repeat this workout anytime soon. One kick-ass session like this can pay dividends for weeks. Awesome effort.

Franklin said...

Hi Aaron,

Great to have you back! And, yes, kick-my ass it did! The last time I felt this beat up and sore was back in the summer of high school junior year in an up-state NY wrestling tournament where it went to triple overtime before I won on a referee's decision. I was sore for days just like now!

I will revisit this workout about once a month. As I get stronger and my body gets tougher, my recovery time from it should lessen.