Thursday, April 24, 2008

a little PTTP sumo DL progress

Although I woke up sore around 2am, I was able to go back to sleep and got up around 6:30am. Weight: 174 5/8. Most of the soreness (my right elbow) dissipated.

Z-Health R-Phase and some Neural Warm-up Level 2

At work around lunch my co-worker brought in his Power Wheel and we alternated turns:

Power Wheel
BW 3 x 20 yards and back Crawl
BW 1 x 1,2,3,4 On the knees Rollout, hold for 7 secs and back
BW 2 x 1 On the knees Rollout, hold for 15 secs and back

After taking a short nap around 8:30pm I decided I had to do another PTTP DL day:

Sumo DL Linear PTTP Cycle: (lbs)
Day 8: 180 x 5, 160 x 5

The 1st pull was hard but the next 4 were very easy. The second set with 160 was really easy. I decided to continue:

Sumo DL:
185 x 5
205 x 5
2 x (225 x 1)
225 x 2

The 185 and 205 were pretty easy. The 225 was definitely harder and I could feel in much more in lower legs for some reason. It also took more time from the time the bar started moving to lockout. The 2nd single was about the same. Then the double really grooved, both pulls had much more acceleration energy. I did a few minutes of Z-drills between every set to help keep focused. As a result I improved my previous DL PR of 205 x 1 conventional to 225 x 2 sumo. I wouldn't be surprised if I could do a 240 single but that is for another day.

As a result, I'm going to take a break for a few days from dead-lifts and restart with a whole new PTTP linear cycle at beginning with a day one of 165 x 5, 150 x 5. This would take me to 215 x 5, 195 x 5 at day 10 which calibrates much closer to my new 2RM. Although admittedly a little lame, I can claim having done a triple digit metric pull, namely, a 100kg double.

Interesting is that Aaron posted a comment that I should eventually be able to do a 2 x BW or 350lb pull. I set a long term goal of 400lb but right now the 350 seems just as far out there. Compared to my pull-up and snatch progress, my dead-lift is definitely the long pole in the tent to being competitive in the Master's TSC but as long as I'm having fun and making progress all is good!

===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates
1 banana

Morning Snack:
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
2 dates
6 oz Kefir

Lunch:
1 bowl of steamed tofu, Kitchari, sweet potato and Green Gram Curry
1 large orange
4 Dates

Afternoon Snack:
4 small handfuls of roasted almonds
1 orange

Dinner:
1 large bowl of Sichuan Shrimp with Veggies
1 small bowl of Cilantro pan-fried salmon
1 small piece of pie
2 scoops of ice cream
1 banana
2 mint chocolate chip cookies

6 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

You're right. It's all good. Focus on the small PRs. They add up.

fawn said...

Franklin,
I'm not sure what you know... so forgive me if I am being repititious...

Make sure you keep the bar directly under your shoulders when you pull. Line it up; wrists, elbows, shoulders... sit back and drive your heals through the floor.

DO NOT let the bar swing out... no good. Pull the bar through your knees. I try to knee-cap myself every time I pull.

You have a much bigger number in you. Maybe you should come on down to The Press one Friday night for the famous Deadlift Party!

fawn said...

Oops... I meant *repetitious.

Think slow and heavy swing, only don't cast out the BB. LOL!

Franklin said...

Aaron,

I celebrate all my PRs .. I usually can find one every workout, even if its as simple as "Hey I just survived another day of life .. a new PR!"

Fawn,

I need to hear everything at least 3 times from different points of view. Your recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.

I will make a conscious effort to align better .. lately have been focusing on creating more tension prior to lift off and pushing the floor away from me.

I know I have bigger numbers to come and by incorporating the training insights from all of you I will get there.

My company has an office in Minneapolis and once a year I have to go out there. I don't know when yet but it would be fantastic to meet and train with you all.

fawn said...

When I started training deadlift I had a HUGE advantage because of Shawn Friday, he gave me tons of advice. For me, keeping the bar close and aligned is an obstacle I have to work on every time I pull. That is why that 281 broke the floor so slow. Shawn told me it looked all wrong when I started... yet some how I corrected the movement.

You are right to start light and groove the technique...

Please let us know when you are in Minneapolis! It would be fun to tear it up in the gym!

Martin Schap said...

Franklin
I will add to the comments that you have a much bigger pull in you. PTP will bring gains for a long time if you keep at it. Good work on those deads, and keep training hard and smart.