Wednesday, April 2, 2008

z-health consultation

The good nights sleep I got last night was really appreciated. Weight: 179 3/4 lbs. I was expecting a massive weight gain but actually lost a half a pound .. I guess those few extra cookies were not the end of the world.

Elbow and knee about the same as yesterday .. no regression. Used my thumper massager which did increase my knee ROM and decreased elbow soreness. This is good news as two days, neither responded to massaging.

I had my Z consult with Luis Hernandez. This guy was top notch. For over an hour and half he had me doing simple Z drills together with a few lifts to determine my imbalances. Specifically, I demonstrated a few snatches using dumbbells.

16kg x 5/5 = 5 pt
24kg x 5r = 5 pt

for 10 pts, new Total = 120 pts

(Obviously, the Ssgt Adam Glass Official Race to 50,000 Snatches is a VERY low priority and I am probably in last place. The plan is to make this my own race with long after the winner is announced and continue to tabulate. )

First of all, although the R-Phase DVD was good enough for me to get started, I wasn't surprised when Luis showed me why there was a considerable gap between what I was doing and how Dr. Cobb teaches in his certs. The good news it was easy to show me how to re-work these as I already had the vocabulary and basic framework of each exercise.

Also he wants to only focus on the R-phase drills for the time being. When I return to training he wants be to go through the drills as part of a warmup and cool down.

I spent an hour and half completely focusing on these drills and it left me exhausted. The amount of body control and focus to perform these precisely is mind-boggling. He demo-ed almost all the drills and his control was amazing. I now have a great visual image of what these should look like up close.

A few of drills he tweaked to focus on my imbalances and wants me to work them throughout the day.


===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, Toor Dal and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates
1 banana

Lunch:
1 bowl Gujarati beans, brown rice, Green Gram Curry, sweet potato, Toor Dal
1 large Naval orange

Afternoon snack:
4 handfuls of roasted almonds
4 oz Kefir
1 large sesame cracker

Dinner:
2 bowls of shrimp with veggies with Mapo tofu
1 piece of apple pie
1 scoop of ice cream
3 handfuls of roasted almonds
1 handful of dried cranberries

3 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Great news about the z-health. Sounds like the consultation will really help. I am right there with you on the snatches. I was already way in the back and now I won't be doing them for at least another 2-3 weeks. We can duke it out for second to last place over the next 4 years or so.

Howie B said...

Good for you Franklin. I have actually located and had an initial discussion with a Z-Health Trainer not too far from me. I'll eventually make my way down to him (he's in NJ). Heal up and get yourself balanced!

Franklin said...

Martin,

Ha ha! Good one .. yes, I will probably be duking it out on snatches with myself way into my retirement years! And yes, the consultation was excellent.

Howie,

I don't think you can go wrong seeing a certified Z-Health trainer .. Dr. Cobb maintains a very high quality program.