Wednesday, April 9, 2008

some bent press and windmill progress

I stayed up too late watching the Mike Mahler "Beginner KB Workshop" DVD and suffered the consequences having to get up and go to work without enough sleep. Weight: 179 3/4 lbs. Both elbows a little sore and left shoulder sore from all the pressing last night. Today is a very easy day.

Z-Health R-Phase

24kg 1 x 2/2 Windmills with opposite hand behind back
24kg 1 Bent Press with right arm

That's it for KB stuff today. I was very pleased with left side windmill as I got really low. Just a month ago I had tweaked my lower back so that any windmill on the left was impossible to do. Instead I worked with a just a rope and slowly practiced the windmill motion holding the rope outstretched in both hands extended.

The bent press with the 24kg right arm was very pleasing. I did no pressing what-so-ever, I just pushed my body away from the bell until I was locked out and then stood up. I tried this with the 12kg on my left but it was just to much for my chronic separated left shoulder. Interesting is that I have little difficulty with TGUs with 2 pood with either arm.

With my rehab going very well, its time to put together a new 5 week cycle. Here are some things to work on and prioritize:

  • Overhead static holds and walks, singles and doubles.
  • Hanging leg raises.
  • Pull-ups
  • Snatches: As fatigue sets in with weak arm, notice how form may improve. When starting the eccentric from the top left arm start by slightly twisting the wrist in the direction of thumb to pinky so that the palm is facing in towards the body.
  • Bent Press: The lat must contract, perform a negative biceps curl. Able to do one with RA with 24kg. Unable with left even with 12kg.
  • Sumo Deads

===================================================================
Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato
1 small bowl of Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
4 dates
1 banana

Morning Snack:
3 small handfuls of roasted almonds

Lunch:
1 bowl of Gujarati green beans with brown rice, sweet potato and Green Gram Curry
1 bowl of Pongal (rice with yellow moong dal and spices)
1 orange
4 dates

Afternoon snack:
4 small handfuls of roasted almonds

Dinner:
1 large bowl of Sichuan chicken, pork and pan fried salmon
1 piece of pie
1 1/2 scoops of ice cream

2 comments:

Howie B said...

Were you inspired by Kettlebell Kate on doing those Windmills? She has that on her recent video demo. Rest those elbows!

Franklin said...

I did see KB-Kate's video (her handstands were awesome) but it was the Mike Mahler "Beginner KB Workshop" DVD that inspired me to try the windmills and bent-press.

I think you are really going to like it.