Tuesday, April 22, 2008

just a little bit

I was plenty sore from yesterday's workout and it was difficult to sleep for the middle third of the night. Fortunately I did go to bed early so I was able sleep in and still get into work at a reasonable hour. Weight: 174 3/4 lbs. My right elbow was very sore so I did lots of extra Z through out the day.

Z-Health R-Phase and some NWU 2

The used Olympic barbell set I bought did not come with decent collars. I took a guess at the many barbell collars out there and ordered the low-end reasonably priced Lock-Jaw Olympic Barbell Collars. They arrived today and I was very impressed with how light weight they were. The locking mechanism seemed real solid and it was very easy to get them on and off. Today was supposed to be a complete day off but hey! what's a guy to do .. I got new collars!

Sumo DL Linear PTTP Cycle: (lbs)
Day 6: 170 x 5, 155 x 5

I bent down without setting up properly and didn't get the bar moving. I got right back up and created a lot more tension, bent down and this time it succumbed. No problem and the next four reps were very smooth. The next set with the lower weight felt very light.

At this point I knew I would have to do a few snatches without getting crazy. Since my right elbow was still a little sore:

24kg 8L Snatch

They flew up there so I put on my left glove to protect my blister to do a few more and low behold I hear Aaron in my ear whispering "Dude, forget the 24kg .. try some 32kg reps .."

32kg Snatch:
3L, 4L(PR), 6R(PR), 5R
Total: 18 reps

I couldn't believe I did 3 and then 4 consecutive 32kg snatches with my pathetically weak left arm! (My previous left PR was one pretty sucky single.) I was so pumped! However, my right arm was getting pissed that the left was getting all the attention .. so not wanting to be a party poop-er, I complied and subsequently set a PR on my right with 6 reps (my previous best was 3). Another 5 reps with the right and that was it for the day.

Fortunately I didn't go crazy. More Z drills and good nights rest were in order.



===================================================================

Diet and Nutrition Log

Breakfast:
1 bowl of Kitchari with sweet potato, and Green Gram Curry
2 cups of coffee with tbs of 1/2 and 1/2
2 dates
1 banana

Morning Snack:
2 small handfuls of roasted almonds
2 dates

Lunch:
1 bowl of steamed tofu, Kitchari, sweet potato and Green Gram Curry
1 large orange
2 Dates

Afternoon Snack:
4 small handfuls of roasted almonds
4 oz Kefir

Dinner:
1 large bowl of Sichuan Shrimp with Veggies
1 small bowl of Cilantro pan-fried salmon
1 small piece of pie
2 scoops of ice cream

8 comments:

Howie B said...

Very nice unplanned session Franklin. Now I'm going to have to try snatching the 32kg!!! (Maybe this weekened.)

Franklin said...

Hi Howie,

The way you are currently snatching the 24kg, you will have no problem! It just requires a stronger hip snap .. everything else is the same. The feeling of that chunk of iron flying overhead is amazing ... ya gonna luv it!!

Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

something that helped my hip snap for snatching the 32 was doing heavy double swings. nothing trains the hips snap like 2 32s!

lol at the new collar situation. its so true that anytime something new comes in there will be a workout to accompany it, no matter how tired/beat up you are.

Colin said...

Man you are just rocking on those snatches!! You got me like Howie - I'm going to have to give them a shot too. Haha

Franklin said...

@Sean,

Indeed! I have been doing the dbl 32kg swings and they are absolute smokers .. its only recently I was able to work up to a set of ten reps. Now before any serious snatch work, I will always warm up with a set of heavy double swings.

And yes, when new equipment arrives, an impromptu workout is always a necessity!

@Colin,

You will go nuts for 32kg snatches! And at least the women haven't been doing them ... yet. However with the likes of scary strong women such as Pam, Nikki, Fawn, Tracy, Yoana, Gabi and others, it won't be long!

Franz Snideman said...

Is the NWU nakes warrior stuff? What does that stand for?

Franklin said...

Hi Franz,

Sorry, I got lazy.

NWU2 = (Z-Health) Neural Warm-Up
Level 2.

I supplement the R-Phase dynamic joint mobility movements with some of these new drills. They have a more athletic feel to them and are great for warming up prior to a training session. In particular, many of these new movements are performed in one of the three basic lunge positions (lateral, anterior, posterior).

It was Zachariah Salazar, one of few Z trainers who holds all four levels of Z Certifications, that recommended these to a number of posters on DD. Although not directed at me specifically, I usually follow his general advice and in this case, I'm really glad I did.

Aaron Friday said...

Once you get comfortable with snatching that 32kg, you can train for pretty much anything you want with 24kg snatches.

The 32 kills my hands, but the 24? Not anymore.

The 32 taxes my grip. The 24? Not anymore.

The 32 requires hard-style breathing. The 24? Anatomical breathing if going for reps. The focus is on relaxing and pacing.

Just as I suspected, you are much stronger than you let on. Every snatch you do with the 32 will make every subsequent snatch with the 24 easier. It's a 33% increase in weight, and a sure-fire way to increase your numbers with the 24.

Go low reps with the 32, and higher reps with the 24 (10 or more, each hand). You'll adapt, and 5/5 will soon be relegated to warmup sets.